Friday, December 17, 2010

Fat people. Thin book.

People do crazy things for their friends - kill, steal, lie, beg – I did worse, I agreed to read a new, chick-lit book for one of mine. At first, strange things crossed my mind. Would my male friends accept me once I finished reading it? Would I wake up with a French manicure and a craving for chocolate and Robert Pattinson? But then again, you do stuff for friends and I promised to read it and so I did.  And let me tell you, Vrushali Telang’s debut novel, ‘Can’t Die for Size Zero’ was fun, witty and, rather appetizing.

Think Sex and the City meets The Food Channel and you’ve pretty much got what’s going on in the mind of Joyeeta Naik – a big woman whose friends think she should get a makeover, a new diet and a new fitness regime so she can be confident, love her body and love life. Unfortunately, or fortunately, she loves food more.

What unfolds is an exciting account of Joyeeta’s life in Mumbai, accentuated with boyfriends, ex-boyfriends, best friends, colleagues, tailors, parties, little black dresses and enough food to feed every screaming 10 year old at a Justin Bieber concert. Don’t be fooled by the chick-lit tag, I recommend this book for anyone who has a sense of humour and a stomach. Even the size zero folks. 

The 'Big' Debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment